The Manor of Chipping Campden
Prior to the Reformation (1534 formation of the Anglican Church)
Lord of the Manor in 1066 was Harold King of England who was killed during the battle with William the Conquror. The manor was then given to Hugh Lupus Viscount Durance (the Earl first referred to in the Domesday Book along with a son Richard Viscount Albrincis, by Margaret, sister of William for services in the invasion. Hugh died in 1101 and was succeeded by his son Richard then 8 years old, he died in 1120 by drowning on the ill-fated White Ship with Prince William.
Ranuf de Meschines, or Micene, cousin of Richard succeeded him and on his death his son Randolph Gernous became lord of the manor. Around 1173 Hugh de Gondeville (Gondaville or Grunderel) possessed the manor and became the first resident lord of the manor. During this time he obtained a charter of incorporation for the town, and founded the Free Chapel of St. Katherine. At this time there were 4 water mills in Chipping Campden (there were two at the time of the Domesday Book).
The manor was in 1199 granted by King John to Gwiomar Briton. Possession was given by the Crown in 1232 to Walt. le Fleming of Suhampton to hold for one year. Nicola, third sistor of Hugh Earl of Arundel took possession of the manor in 1243, which then passed to her husband Roger de Somery who died in 1273. Chipping Campden was referred to Caumpedene at this time, de Somery's 4 daughters took equal possession of the manor: Margaret, Joan, Mabel and Maud who had respectively married Ralph de Cromwell*, John le Straunge, Walt. de Suley* and Henry de Edington.
It appears that Walt. le Venne held a portion of the manor in 1288 and possession of John de Ludlow 1295 who died that year, then in possession of Ralph Bassett and Isabella de Berrye (probably Isabella de Ludlow after a second marriage), succeeded to Bogo de Ludlowe after 1321. William de Ludlowe succeeded Bogo's estates 1326 and died 1349, Thomas his 5 year old son was heir. He was buried 1410 but passed the manor to William Merbury and John, son of William Grevel, in trust for his daughter Margaret.
Margaret married Baldwin de Straunge, she passed away in 1419 and her daughter Elizabeth Straunge heired in 1431. It was administered by duke John 1419-31. Elizabeth married Robert Molyneaux who was in possession of the manor1466. At this point Chipping Campden was refered to as Chepyng Campeden.
Son John Molyneux took possession until his death 1473 leaving a daughter Cicely of 9 weeks, the estate was held in trust. Cicely married John Josselyn of High Rodyng in Essex, who held the manor upon her death in 1502.
Back to the Suley* portion of the Manor it was possessed by Gilbert de Clare in 1289. He married Joan, daughter of Edward I, who possessed it upon Glibert's death in 1296 their son Gilbert took possession in 1307 due to his mother's death. Gilbert died in battle in 1314 whereupon his three sisters succeeded him. At the request of the parceners Richard de Rodeneye, Ithel de Keyrewent and Richard de Byflet were appointed keepers of the estate 1317. Margaret married Hugh de Audley, he died in 1347, she then married Ralph Lord Stafford who passed it on to his brother Sir Richard de Stafford who in turn acquired Cromwell's portion of the manor estate. Thomas de Stafford gained possession and died in 1425 passing it on to his wife Katherine who remarried Sir William Peto. There was a child Richard born to Katherine and Thomas de Stafford but no more was mentioned of him. In 1471 Sir John Burgh was Lord of the Stafford portion of the manordying c1476 leaving a son John who died in 1508.
The Stanley family obtained possession of this manor, how is not proven. Anne Stanley brought this manor to Christopher Savage and it was passed on to their son also named Christopher.
By 1539 the whole of the manor estate was in the hands of Thomas Smith.