- Campden The Name
A parish in the upper division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTERSHIRE. compising the market-town of Campden, and the hamlets of Berrington, Broad Campden, and Wessington with Combe, and containing 1798 inhabitants - (1831 Typographical Index of England). The name Campden, or Camperdene, appears to be a Saxon name meaning "valley with fields", the first detailed written reference to Campden is in 1085, in the Domesday Book, which records that before the Norman conquest the manor of Camperdene had been held by King Harold. Around 1185, it received its charter as a borough, and the new market was established in the area of the present High Street. By the early thirteenth century, the market area was being called "Cepynge Caumpedene" (or 'Market Campden").
- *Gloucestershire 1730 Magna Britannia:
Campden or Camden, under the Side of the Hills, so called from a Camp near it, where a Battel has been formerly fought. It is a Borough and a Market-Town. They received their Charter in the 3d Year of K. James I and so the Town is governed by two Bailiffs and twelve Burgesses, and a Steward, who has the Authority to choose twelve other inferiour Burgesses. They have Power to try Actions not exceeding the Sum of £6 13s 6d.
It hath a weekly Market on Wednesday, and four Fairs yearly, (viz.) on St. Andrew's Day, on Ashwednesday, on St. George's Day, and St. James's Day; the Benefit of the two former belonging to the Corporation, but of the two last to the Lord of the Manor. The Market is famous for Stockins. The Parish is ten Miles in compass, consisting of most Pasture and Arable, and a small Brook runs thro' it into the Stour, and so into the Avon.
The Saxon Kings, in the Heptarchy, met in this Town A.D. 689. to consult about making War and Peace with the Britains.
Earl Harold held this Manor before the Conquest, but Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester, obtained it of King William the Conqueror, and from his Family it passed thro' divers Hands, viz. First to Nicholas de Albeniaco, or Albany, then to the Somery's, and as length to the Clares, who were Earls of Glocester and Hereford, and from them to the Crown, from which it was granted byQueen Elizabeth to Sir Thomas Smith, whose Posterity sold it to Sir Baptist Hicks, who was created Baronet 4 Jac. 1 and afterwards Viscount Campden. He left no Heirs Male, whereupon this Manor passed to Juliana his eldest Daughter, who marrying to Edward Lord Noel, he became Lord of it, and dying in 1643, left it to Baptist Lord Noel, his Son and Heir, who in right of his Mother was made Viscount Camden; and by his 3d Wife Elizabeth, one of the Co-heiresses of Thomas Lord Wotton, left for the Heir of his Honour and Estate.
- Edward Noel, Viscount Camden, his eldest Son, who was created Earl of Gainsborough in 1682. He had issue by Elizabeth, Daughter of Thomas Earl of Southampton.
Wriothesly Baptist, his only Son and Successor, who had only Daughters, and so the Honour developed upon his cousin-German Baptist, the Son of Baptist, younger Brother to Edward Noel, created Earl of Gainsborough, who now enjoys that Honour, and hath for his Heir Baptist, Lord Viscount Camden, and two other Sons, John and James.
The Church is a Vicarage worth £150 per Annum, in the Patronage of the Earl of Gainsborough, whose Grandfather, Edward Lord Noel, annexed to it the Impropriation of Winfrith in Dorsetshire, worth £100 per Annum, purchased by Sir Baptist Hicks.
The Rectory did formerly belong to the Nunnery of St. Warburg in Chester, but now is the Estate of the Earl of Gainsborough. The Building is large and beautiful, with Iles on each Side, an handsom Tower 35 Yards high, two Chapels, and a spacious Chancel. In the least Window of it there are curiously painted the Arms of Sir Baptist Hicks, six Foot in heighr.
There are many Monuments and Inscriptions in the Church, most of them for the Noels. The most sumptuous of them is for Sir Baptist Hicks. It is supported by twelve Pillars, and in the Epitaph it is said, that he gave in his Life-time to charitable Uses £10000. There are other Monuments for the Noels, which tho' inferior to this, yet are so noble and many, that no Church in England can exceed them, if they can shew the like.
Sir Baptist Hicks further erected an Almhouse in this Place for six poor Men, and as many Women, and endowed it with three Shillings and four pence, to be given weekly to each Person, besides an Allowance for a black Gown and Coals: He also gave £500 for a Stock to set the Poor at Work, and did many other acts of Charity both for the Church and Town.
There are so many Gifts for Bread in this Parish, to be disposed weekly to the Poor, viz. six Dozen every Sunday, besides two and forty Pounds, and ten Shillings a Year, to be expended in Bread for them at Discretion, that there seems not to be any Place that has a better Provision in this kind, both against Want and Dearness of Corn.
Mr. John Fereby, alias Verby, founded a Grammar School in this Town, and endowed it with £60 a Year for the Maintenance of a School master and Usher. It is settled by Decree in Chancery, and Mr. Fereby's Effigies is set up in the School.
James Thyrme Esq; has given a thousand Pounds for the erection and endowing a Charity-School for the Teaching of thirty poor Girls to read, knit and spin, and to buy them cloathes, and give the Mistress£10 per Annum for instructing them
Here are some Remains of a noble House built by Sir Baptist Hicks, which was without any great Reason burnt down by the King's Party in the late great Rebellion lest it should be made a Garrison by the parliament.
*Courtesy of Rod Neep and the
Archive CD Books Project
- The Churches
St. James church - known as St. Katherines before the reformation
Referred to as a 'Wool church' (built from the profits of the wool trade) dates back to the 15th century on Norman foundations. William Grevel is said to have left money in his will for the completion of the building. The clock tower has a Carillon (1682, twice restore) that plays 4 tunes. The church tower is 120 foot high. There is a Brass dedicated to William Grevel, describing him as "the flower of the wool merchants of England". Altar hangings date from 1500, and a Vicar's ceremonial cope from 1400. Also found at St. James' is a huge 15th century brass lectern in the shape of a falcon with outstretched wings, most likley of Flemish origin.
The Baptist Church
On the upper side of High Street, to the south of Market-square, built in 1872, together with school rooms and a comfortable manse to the rear, mainly owing to the exertions of the Rev. W. Irvine, the then pastor. The church seats 300, and in extreme rear is a small graveyard, which in 1911 was the only burial ground in the parish in addition to the parish churchyard.
- St Catherine's Roman Catholic Church
- Market Hall
Dates to 1627 Sir Baptist Hicks (1st Viscount Campden, a Jacobean Londoner who amased a vast fortune mainly by lending money to King James I) at a cost of £90, made it a donation to Moreton. Sir Hicks was at one time the Lord Mayor of London. He was buried in St James churchyard.
- Inns of Chipping Campden
The Eight Bells - The oldest inn in the town (on Church Street), dating from the reformation. In the 17th Century it was two houses. It was owned in 1637 by William Sellers, a cooper, and in the 18th century occupied by Peter Stanley, afterwards by Sarah Hands, early in the 19th century by Richard Andrews and George Ireson, And these people by date:
1856 R. Andrews
1885 George Freeman
1891 George Freeman. Alehouse. H. Gardner & Sons
1902 James John Gladwin
1903 James John Gladwin. Alehouse. Flowers & Sons, Stratford on Avon
1906 James John Gladwin
1919 Thomas A. Harris
1927,1939 James Sadler
- The Noel Arms - On High Street in the Market square was the property of the Earl of Gainsborough, in the 1800's it was known as The George. A long tradition of hospitality awaits you at the Noel Arms Hotel. In 1651 the future Charles II rested here after his Scottish army was defeated by Cromwell at the battle of Worcester and for centuries the hotel has entertained visitors to the ancient and unspoilt, picturesque Cotswold Village of Chipping Campden. Occupied by these people by date:
1856 J. Cousins
1885 Mark Gurton
1891 Albert Tanner. Alehouse. Free from brewery tie (owner Earl of Gainsborough)
1903 Albert Tanner. Alehouse. Free from brewery tie (owner Earl of Gainsborough)
1906,1919 Albert Tanner
1997 Paul Rees
- The Plough Inn - High Street
1891 Elizabeth Whatcott. Beerhouse.
Free from brewery tie (owner E. Whatcott)
1903 William Alfred Starkiss. Beerhouse. Hunt Edmunds, Banbury
- The Live and Let Live - High Street
1891 John Richard Harris. Beerhouse. Hunt Edmunds, Banbury
1903 John Keen. Beerhouse. Hunt Edmunds, Banbury
- The Kettle Inn - In Leysbourne was at one time owned by Jas. Haines, a brazier and had an immense kettle suspended in the front as a sign of his trade. Thomas Winlett held the premises in the 18th century and Thomas Smith in the early 1900's. later by Peter Holmes.
1903 Elizabeth Haines (owner). Beerhouse (off). Free from brewery tie
King's Arms - High Street. Was evidently an important Inn in 1713.
1856 J. Bloxham
1885 Thomas Brace
1891 Thomas Brace. Alehouse. Richard Iles Arkell, Donnington Brewery
1998 Mike Wrighton (manager)
The Red Lion - On High Street. Was refered to in 1710 and in 1723 was kept by one Lodge Knight who owned it. Later it was in the hands of the Walford family, who sold it to Mr. Tomes in 1780, who sold it in 1808 to George Manton, at this time it was a private dwelling, later to become an Inn again.
1856 J. Gibson
1885 James Gibson
1891 James Gibson (owner). Alehouse. Free from brewery tie
1902 James Richard Gibson
1903 James Alfred Gibson (owner). Alehouse. Free from brewery tie
1906 James Abel Holtam
1919 Minnie M. Holtam (Miss)
1927,1939 John Bridge
1996 Bob and Jean Wilson
The Lygon Arms - High Street. Originally a 16th Century Cotswold coaching inn, the Lygon Arms is situated in the high street. The Hon. Col. Lygon resided there in the 1840's, prior to that it was known as the Hare and Hounds and before that the White Hart and before that also known as the George
1856 T. Dunn
1885 Samuel Sambrook
1891 William Jeffrey. Alehouse. H. Gardner & Sons (owners exors of Catherine Hailes)
1902 Annie Jeffrey (Mrs)
1903 Annie Louisa Jeffrey. Alehouse. Flowers & Sons (owner Henry Dee)
1906 Annie Jeffrey
1919,1939 John George Skey
- Volunteers Pub - On Lower High Street. A pub since 1709. Present name since the 1840's named so because local men used to 'sign on' there for the volunteer armies. . Country Pub of the Year 1998.
1885 Richard Griffin
1891 Richard Griffin (owner). Alehouse. Free from brewery tie
1902 Charles Aston
1903 Thomas Malins. Alehouse. Flowers & Sons, Stratford on Avon
1906,1919 Thomas Malins
1927 Christopher Rathbone
1985,1999 Hilary and Paul Sinclair
- Rose & Crown Inn In Cowfair, in 1628 was the property of William Gibbard, a collar maker, and occupied by one William Russell. In 1816 the premises belonged to William Holmes of Westington, from whomit descended to his nephews, William Henry and George Keen.
1891 Frederick Timms. Beerhouse. Hitchman & Co., Chipping Norton
1903 Frederick Timms. Beerhouse. Hitchman & Co., Chipping Norton
- The George and Dragon - High Street. Had an extensive stable and a sundial on its front dated 1690, with the building being about a hundred years older. In 1619 it was the property of Humphrey Tainton, haberdasher, and was occupied by Ciprian James. In 1816 it was kept by widow Mary Howe, and in 1839 by William Wyatt, the Wyatt's sold it to Messrs. Flower.
1856 W. Wyatt
1885 Charles Kedward
1891 Alfred Frederick Ashwin.(George Inn). Alehouse. Free from tie (owner William Wyatt)
1902 Richard Smith
1903 Richard Smith. Alehouse. Flowers & Sons, Stratford on Avon
1906,1919 Richard Smith
- The Swan Inn - Formerly known as the fox. The major portion was leased by John Keyte of Broadway and others to Thomas Garfield in 1671 for 2000 years at 10s rent. His son John Garfield sold the lease to Lewis Harrison in 1709. In 1780 the lease belonged to Thomas Russell, whose executors sold to Richard Hands, whose widdow Anne Clarke held it after his death in 1793 until 1830, when the children sold it to Mrs. Palmer. Mr. Drury owned later.
1856 W. Drury
1885 George Mansell Taplin
1891 Richard Stead. Alehouse. Richard Iles Arkell, Donnington Brewery
1902 John George Skey
1903 John George Skey. Alehouse. Richard Iles Arkell, Donnington Brewery
1906 John George Skey
- The above information is a combination of material from the 1911 book on Chipping Campden History by P.C. Ruchen, and the Gloucestershire Pubs website:
Built c1380 By William Grevel in the High Street, with a double-storey bay window. Mentioned in the Chronicle of Britain (same publishers of the Chronicle of the 20th Century) William died in 1401, the property was held by John Grevel and Edward, his son, until 1541 when it was sold to Lionel Cranfield
King Henry II
In 1185 Henry II made the first recorded visit of an English king to Campden. The lord of the manor at that time was Hugh de Gondeville, who was involved in the events that led to the murder of the Archbishop Thomas à Becket. There were also visits by King John and Henry III
|Known books available on Chipping Campden
A History of Chipping Campden
hard back, 284 pages
published 1958 Shakespeare Head Press Eton Windsor
hard back, 88 pages
privately printed 500 copies MCMLXXI
[afraid have forgotten lots of Latin - ?1971]
Chipping Campden from the Grass Roots
soft back, 52 pages
1982 printed by John Knight & Sons Evesham
A Child in Arcadia
Edited by Craig Fees
softback 78 pages
Campden & District Historical and Archaelogical Society
Memories of an Old Campdonian
Edited by Craig Fees, 1994
softback 120 pages
Campden & District Historical and Archaelogical Society
Chipping Campden School 1440-1990
softback 66 pages
pub Peter Drinkwater Shipston on Stour 1990
The North Cotswolds in Old Photographs
collected by David Viner
softback 160 pages
1988 Alan Sutton publishing
The grammar schhool was founded between 1421 and 1442 by John Verby (or Fereby) and his wife Margery, John died about 1442. The school was rebuilt around 1628. Headmasters of the school from 1627:
1627-Rev. Ambrose Jenks
1717--Rev. R. Goodall
1766--Rev. W. Boyce
1772--Rev. Thomas Symonds
1797--Rev. Joseph Worgan
1823--Rev. R. O. Wilsop
1832--Rev. Joseph Harling
1835--Rev. T. F. Laying
1837--Rev. H. Miniken
1855--Rev.G. B. Dodwell
1862--Dr. S. F. Hiron, Trinity, Oxford
Rector of Aston Subedge 1867
1871--Rev. Joseph Foster
1889--Mr. F. B. Osborne (through 1911)
1913--Mr. W. M. Cox, M.A.
1927--Mr. W. J. Bright, M. A.
1951--Mr. A. L. Jones, M.C., M.A.
1976--Mr. P.T. Sandry, M.A., M. Ed
Land Owners 1911
| Lady Northwick
| Major Knox
| Mr. W. H. Bagnall
| The Vicar (ex-officio)
| Mr. J. H. Rimell's reps.
| Mr. W. Stanley's reps.
| Mrs. John Griffiths
| Mr. Fel
| Mr. J. Izod
| Mr. Reynolds's reps.
| Mr. O. Gray
| Mr. L. Horne
| Mrs. Izod
| Mr. Smith's representatives
| Mr. S. Stanley
| Mr. Henry James
| Great Western Railway Co.
| Lord Harrowby
| Mr. Winterbotham's Trustees
| Baptist Church Trustees
| Mrs. George Clarke
|| 2 1/2
| Mr. Hands
|| 2 1/2
| Remainder - Lord Gainsborough
A number of the records on this site have been revised and added based on the 1911 book on Chipping Campden History by P.C. Ruchen
On Sheep Street used for that purpose for approximately 100 years till mid nineteenth century. It now has an exhibition of old artefacts, is the home of the world renowned Guild of Handicrafts.The Guild was founded by C.R.Ashbee and moved here in 1902. Although it closed in 1908, many of the craftsmen stayed, and some of their descendants are still working in the Old Silk Mill, formerly the Guild's main workshop, producing objects respected the world over.
The Mill was run by William Coleman Russell, and at another time by a Mr. Scott
Attracted to live in or visit Campden: T.S. Elliot, John Masefield, Laurence Houseman, Graham Greene and F.L. Griggs.
Quaker Meeting House
Up Sheep Street towards Broad Campden, less than a mile the eleventh century Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene Jonathan Hulls an old boy of the Grammar School, and best known for taking out the first ever patent for a ship driven by steam in 1737.
Founded in 1612 by Captain Robert Dover. Included such "sports" as the shin-kicking contest. The Observer newspaper in England ran an article end of May, 1999 on the Olimpicks included in the material was the fact that this event has continued with royal permission, through 14 monarchs. An event documented by William Shakespeare himself in The Merry Wives of Windsor ('How does your fallow greyhound, sir? I heard he was outrun at Cotsall') and the wresting scene in As You Like It, and the writer Ben Johnson (the poet) once wrote: 'The Cotswold with the Olympick vies/In manly games and goodly exercise.' For full description of this event and it's creator go to this site:
Seventeenth century A four-gabled building.
Thirteenth century building.
The 12 Almshouses which Sir Baptist Hicks also built in 1612 at a total cost of £1,000, to house 6 poor men and 6 poor women. To this day they are still used by twelve pensioners from Campden.
The Woolstaplers Hall, built in 1340. For hundreds of years it was a Wool Exchange, attracting merchants from London and as far afield as Florence, to buy Cotswold fleeces for shipment around the world. The Hall was restored by C. R. Ashbee, Esq., who was in residence in 1911.
The 14th century manor of Charingworth lies amid the gently rolling Cotswold countryside, just a few miles from the historic towns of Chipping Campden and Broadway. Beautiful old stone buildings everywhere recall the flourishing wool trade that gave the area its wealth.
- Campden Manor
Dates to 1612 Started by Sir Baptist Hicks. The manor was burned by Royalist troops to stop it being sequestered by Parliament at the end of the Civil War. 1645 the Royalist troops billeted in the house. All that remains are the pavilions at either end, a small section of the frontage, the entrance
gateways and some outbuildings