Blockley - Kelly's Directory 1912
(Worcestershire, now Gloucestershire (since 1931), England)

BLOCKLEY is a large village and parish and head of a petty sessional division (held at Chipping Campden and Shipston-on-Stour), with a station on the Oxford and Wolverhampton section of the Great Western railway, 2 miles east from the town, 88 miles from London, 8 southwest from Shipston-on-Stour and 3 1/2 north-west from Moreton-in-Marsh , it is in the Southern division of the county, upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Shipston-on-Stour union and county court district, Blockley rural deanery, Warwick archdeaconry and Worcester diocese. The village and church are lighted by electric light. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 8 bells and a good clock given by Lady Northwick in 1893: the chancel has a piscina and triple sedilia: the stained east window was placed by Sir Charles Rushout bart. in memory of his sister, the Hon, Mrs. Grieve, d. 15 Jan. 1862, and to George, 3rd Baron Northwick, d. 18 Nov. 1887: the church contains a large number of monuments, many belonging to the Rushout family, Barons Northwick, including the Right Hon. Sir John Rushout bart. 1st Baron Northwick, d. 20 Oct. 1800, and Rebecca (Bowles), his wife, d. 1818; and the Hon. Anne Rushout, d. 4 April 1849; Edward Croft, 1706, and Jane, his wife, 1711; to the Rev. William Boughton, 36 years vicar of the parish, d. 1831, and to the Childe family, once landowners in this parish: over the vestry door is a costly marble monument, of Italian work, illustrating the parable of “The Good Samaritan," to the memory of John, 2nd Baron Northwick, d. 20 Jan. 1859: at the east end of the north aisle is a handsome marble monument, in three compartments, two of which are finished with pediments and the middle one with a pyramid; on these are arranged the busts of Sir James Rushout, 1st bart. ob. 1698, and Alice (Pitt), his wife, by Moore, Elizabeth (Rushout), Countess Dowager of Northampton (18th cent.), by Rysbrack; and of the Right Hon. Sir John Rushout bart. treasurer of the navy, ob. 1775, and Lady Anne (Compton), his wife: there are also tablets to George, 3rd Baron Northwick, d. 18 Nov. 1887, and the Hon. Caroline Rushout, his only daughter; memorial windows to the Rev. H. Bromfield, vicar 1855-78, and to George, 3rd Baron Northwick, and brasses with effigies to Philip Warthim, vicar, 1488; a priest (William Jornbharte), with inscription to William Neele, 1510; and some inscribed scrolls - the communion plate was presented by Elizabeth, Countess Dowager of Northampton, and there is a black letter Bible, date 1617: the church was restored and reseated and a north porch added in 1871, and the chancel was restored in 1907 there are 550 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £525, including 92 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the vicar of Brornsgrove, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Edward James Houghton M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford, rural dean of Blockley and hon. canon of Worcester. An acre of land, given by the late Lord Northwick for a church cemetery, was consecrated by the Bishop of Worcester in 1891: the lych gate was erected in memory of the Rev. Henry Bromfield, vicar 1855 to 1878, by a bequest of his widow. The curfew has been rung here at 8 p.m. since 1st Jan. 1908. There is a Baptist chapel, built in 1820, with 320 sittings, a meeting house for, the Brethren and a Mission chapel at Draycott. The Northwick Institute was opened in 1897, and has about 100 members. Charities: Richard Perkin's charity of £400, left in. 1702, is invested in land, the rents arising from which are devoted to the purchase of clothing for the poor; Goddard Carter's charity is an annuity of £10, chargeable on land, also given to the poor in clothing; Mrs. Martha Scattergood's charity is an annuity of £5 for the poor; Mrs. Bowhay's bequest of £15 yearly, in the hands of the vicar of Blockley and John Eden-Hiron esq. of Shipston-on-Stour, as trustees, is expended in coal for the aged poor; the Rev. W. Boughton, a former, vicar, gave an annuity of £8 to the poor, which is distributed in clothing; the Countess of Northampton's charity furnishes twenty poor persons with a twopenny loaf of bread each weekly. and there are also several minor charities. Northwick Park is now the seat of Lady Northwick, who is principal landowner; the barony Northwick became extinct on the death of George, 3rd baron, in 1887. The mansion was the ancient seat of the Childe family, and was remodelled in 1730 by the late Sir John Rushout bart : it is mostly in the Elizabethan style, but the west side was built in the time of Queen Anne: the picture gallery contains a remarkably fine collection, including examples of Hogarth, Rubens, Titian, Guido, Raffaelle, Vandyck, Teniers, Landseer, Giotto, Velasquez &c. besides a valuable collection of prints and engravings, coins and medals of the Greek and Roman periods: there is also a model of the famous Dunmow flitch of bacon awarded to Lord and Lady Northwick. The night watchman at the mansion maintains the old custom of going the round every hour from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. and blowing a whistle at each hour and calling the tame and the state of the weather. The park is 300 acres in extent, and contains two extensive lakes, well stocked with trout &c., the park is noted for its fine beech, oak, Spanish chestnut, and walnut trees, and contains 500 head of fallow deer: permission is occasionally granted to view the gallery and other interesting portions of the mansion. The soil is light and fertile; subsoil, beds of stone and blue lias. The chief crops are wheat, beans, oats and barley. The total area of the parish is 7,879 acres of land and 17 of water; rateable value, £14,399; the population in 1901 was 1,812 in the civil and 1,621 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Post, M. O. & T. Office (Letters should have Worcs. added).-- Mrs. Susan Powell, sub-postmistress & stamp distributor. Letters arrive from Worcester at 5.40 a.m. & 1.45 p.m. ; dispatched at 10.40 a.m. & 7 p.m.; Sundays, 5.25 p.m.

PAXFORD is a hamlet, 3 miles north from Moreton-in-the-Marsh and 2 miles north-north-east from Blockley. A school-church of stone was erected here in 1866, at the cost of Mrs. Elliot: it is licensed for divine service, which is held here once at least every Sunday: a clock has been presented by the late Mr. Richard Reynolds, who also gave the site for the church. There are a Baptist chapel and a Men's Institute, erected in 1911 to the memory of the late J. C. Reynolds esq, The principal landowners are the trustees of Joseph Crescens Reynolds esq. and George Holtom and Dennis Holtom esqrs. The area of the hamlet is 841 acres; rateable value is included with Blockley.

Post Office, Paxford.-- Mrs. Alice Tarplett, sub-postmistress. Letters through Campden, Gloucestershire, arrive at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 9.25 a.m. & 6 p.m. No Sunday delivery. Blockley is the nearest money order office A Blockley station, three-quarters of a mile distant from post office, the nearest telegraph office, which is open on Sunday at train times only.

Public Elementary School (girls & infants) (under a management of six members), erected in 1866. for 100 children; average attendance, 25 ; Miss Millicent Simmons, mistress

DRAYCOTT, 1 mile north; Ditchford, 4 1/2 miles southwest-by-west from Shipston; Dorn, a mile north from Moreton-in-the-Marsh; and Northwick, 1 3/4 miles south from Chipping Campden, are hamlets in this parish.

ASTON MAGNA is an ecclesiastical parish formed from Blockley, and will be found under a separate heading.

Wall Letter Boxes.-- Dovedale End, cleared at 6.30 p.m. week days only; Park road, cleared at 10.25 a.m. & 6.40 p.m, week days only; Draycott, cleared at 7.25 p.m. & 5.45 p.m. week days only.

County Police Station. Francis Henry Drew, sergeant, & constable.

Public Elementary (girls & infants) (under a management of six members), erected & opened in 1867, at a cost of £1,400, defrayed by voluntary subscription, for 100 girls & 100 infants; average attendance, 90 girls & 90 infants; Mrs. Elizabeth Wyatt, mistress; Mrs. Florence Bennett, infants' mistress.

Public Elementary (boys) (under a management of six members), erected in 1911 by Lady Northwick, for 112 boys; average attendance, 90; ,. master

Railway Station, Edwin Henry Jakeman, station master.



Anthony Frederick, St. George's terrace
Bull Herbert, High street
Chapman Mrs.
Cooke George, Magdalen villa
Cosford Miss
Ellis Frederick. Northwick. terrace
Ennals Albert Harry, Porch house
Faulkner Mrs. Park villa
Figgures Geo. Lancelot, Northwick terrace
Grisewood F. Upton Wold house
Hardy Edward Albert, Malvern house
Herbert Mrs. Northwick terrace
Holtom Jn. Hy. Mount Pleasant villa
Holtom Mrs. St. George's terrace
Houghton Rev. Canon Edward James M.A. (vicar & rural dean), Vicarage
Humphries Mrs. Northwick terrace
Joyner Miss, Manor house
Little Lockhart, Tudor house
Northwick Lady, Northwick park & Burford house, Tenbury
Norton Rev. Arthur William Fox B.A, (vicar of Lemington, Gloucester), Porch house
Norton Mrs. Douglas, Porch house
Phipps Mrs. Rock villa
Pitchford Edward Ernest, Park house
Riley Roland John, Elm house
Rushout Algernon St. George Wm. Rushout J.P. Dovedale house
Simmons Miss Ord, Northwick terrace
Spencer Major Henry Montagu V.D., J.P. Cotswold house
Starkey Mrs. North End villa
Stretton Augustus, Marlborough house
Walker Crescens, Brook cottage
Westmacott Major Martin Herbert V.D. The Manor house
Winnard Rev. Edward (Baptist), Pasture lane
Witts Trenfield Miss Eva, Fragrance villa
Wright Miss, Northwick terrace
Wright Thomas Laurence, The Limes
Wyatt Edgar J
Yates Miss, Colebrook house

Adams Fredk. Geo. draper & grocer
Arkell Ernest Wm. farmer. Upton Wold
Balhatchet Thos. Dashwood, butcher
Barber Joseph, slater, Park road
Barnes Emma (Miss), refreshment rooms, High street
Barnes Herbt. carpntr. & wheelwright
Beechey Edwin, fishmonger
Bishop John, blacksmith
Blockley Cottage Dispensary (G. A. Herbert, sec)
Bon Marché Drapery Co. High street
Bragg Olive (Miss), confectioner, The Square
Bull Albina (Miss), teacher of music
Butler Charles, timber dlr. Draycott
Chainey William Fredk. Crown htl. & agent to the G. W. Railway
Chapman & Co. photographrs. Elm bank
Chesher George, miller (water) & farmer
Clifford George, monumental mason, Park Toad
Coldicott John C. butcher, High st.
Cox Joseph, beer retailer & butcher
Davy Stephen Weston, glazier
Drury Robert (Mrs.), apartments, Northwick terrace
Eccles John Ralph, gramophone ma
Ellis John James, beer retailer
Ellison F. T. saddler
Ennals Alice (Miss), milliner, High st
Evans Henry, painter
Figgures George Lancelot, painter
Gray James Edward & Thos. Hollier, farmers, Dorn

Hale Alge, beer retailer
Herbert George Alfred, ironmonger & insurance agent
Higgins. & Co. millers (water), Northwick mill
Hillier William, head gardener to Lady Northwick
Hodgkinson George, farmer, Draycott
Holloway Jn. miller (water) & baker Hopkins John, gardener to H. M. Spencer esq. J.P. Northwick terrace
Howell Wm. wood hurdle & hoop ma
Humphries Edward, cycle agent, The Square
Jones Chas. Gilbert, farmer, Draycott
Joyner Arthur, grocer
Keen Jas. shoe maker, Landgate cottages
Keen Joshua George, beer retailer
Keitley Wm. John Smith, beehive ma
Keyte Payton, antique furniture dlr
Ledbetter William, shoe maker
Lovett John, farmer, Dorn
Lowe George Stewart, millwright
Lucking John, hair dresser & stationer, High street
Meadows Chas. Hy. shopkpr. Draycott
Middleton Louisa (Mrs.), farmer, Ditchford hill (letters through Moreton-in-Marsh)
Millard Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Stapenhill farm
Milton Brothers, grocers
Minett George, farmer, Pasture farm Northwick Bowling Club (F. Anthony, hon. sec)
Northwick Institute (F. Anthony, hon. see)
Payne William, shopkeeper, High st
Powell John, tailor
Powell Susan (Mrs.), baker & tea dlr. Post office
Randall Thomas & Son, millers (water), Bran mill (letters through Moreton-in-Marsh)
Riley Roland John M.R.C.S.Eng., L,R,C Edin. physician & surgeon, Elm House
Roberts Jas. Hy. farmer, Wellacre fm
Rouse Dennis, fly proprietor
Smith Brothers, farmers, Dovedale fm
Smith Harry, carpenter
Smith William, insurance agt. High st
Solloway Major, hide & skin dealer
South Wales & Cannock Chase Coal & Coke Co. Limited (Louis Nobes, manager); Railway station
Spencer Hy. Montagu, agent to Lady Northwick, Cotswold house
Spenser Wm. Hrbt. farmer, Draycott
Spenser's Ltd. electrical engineers, Astral works
Taylor Daniel, confectioner
Taylor Frederick, beer retailer
Taylor Owen, farmer, Sheaf house frm
Taylor Thomas, farmer, Hailstone
Timms Wm., farmer, Dorn & Ditchford Hill farms
Trinder Harry, head gamekeeper to Lady Northwick
Turvey Harry, bricklayer, Parkroad
Webb James, haulier
Webb William, baker
Westmacott, Hannah (Miss), coal mer
Westmacott Walter, carpenter
Wheatcroft Alfred, farmer, Draycott
Whittaker Thomas, farm bailiff to A. St. George Wm. Rushout Rushout esq. J.P. Park farm
Woodward James, William, Bell inn


Butler Mrs.
Harris George, Rose villa
Holtom Dennis

Holtom George, Manor house
Reynolds Mrs.
Sharp Mrs. The Laurels
Slatter James C.C. The Poplars,
Slatter Mrs. Bank house

Errington James, farmer
Fletcher Minnie (Mrs.), beer retailer
Holtom George, farmer, Manor house
Keyte Charles, wheelwright
Mansbridge William Alfd. colporteur, The Laurels
Men's Institute (H. O. Graham, sec) Newman Charles, miller (water) farmer, Pye mill
Plummer George, shopkeeper
Sharp Hubert Challen, collector of rates & assessor of taxes, The Laurels
Slatter James & Co. cider merchants, The Poplars
Slatter James, farmer, The Poplars
Taplin Harry, baker
Tarplett Alice (Mrs.), baker & sub-postmistress

ASTON MAGNA is a hamlet and ecclesiastical parish. formed June sig, 1847, from the civil parish of Blockley, and is 2 1/2 miles north-west from Blockley station on the Oxford and Wolverhampton section of the Great Western railway and 2 1/2 north from Moreton-in-Marsh, in the Southern division of the county, upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Shipaton-on-Stour union and county court district, Blockley petty sessional division, Blockley rural deanery, Warwick archdeaconry and Worgester diocese, The church of St. John the Evangelist, erected in 1846, in a building of stone in the Early Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave and a low western tower, containing one bell, and will seat about 200 persons. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £250 including 3 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Lord Redesdale G.C.V.O., K.C.B. and held since 1900 by the Rev. James Richardson L. Th. of Hatfield Hall, Durham. There are some remains here of an ancient cross. Lord Redesdale G.C.V,O. K.C.B is the chief landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The area is 1,112 acres; rateable value is included with Blockley; the population in 1901 was 191,

POST OFFICE-- John Sabin, sub-postmaster. Letters through Moreton-in-Marsh (Gloucs.), arrive at 7.20 a.m. & 2.30 p.m. & dispatched at 11.5 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; no Sunday delivery. Moreton-in-Marsh, 2 1/2 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Public Elementary School (mixed) (under a management of six members), enlarged in 1883 by the late Earl of Redesdale, for 60 children ; average attendance, 20. Miss Safwell, mistress.

Richardson Rev. James L. Th. Vicarage

Brown Emma (Mrs.), farmer. Bank farm
Clover Robert, farmer
Hoddinott Fras. farmer. Newlands farm
Hunter James C. farmer, Manor farm
Nixon John. farmer, Rectory farm
Rose George, farmer
Seymour Spencer Aubrey, farmer, Neighbrook
Simmons Jsph.Wm. farmer & cider mfr

Contact email address on index page