Blockley - Kelly's Directory 1900
(Worcestershire, now Gloucestershire (since 1931), England)

BLOCKLEY is a large village and parish and head of a petty sessional division (held at Chipping Campden and Shipston-on-Stour), with a station on the Oxford and Wolverhampton section of the Great Western railway, 2 miles east from the town, 88 miles from London, 8 south-west from Shipston-on-Stour and 3 1/2 north-west from

Moreton-in-Marsh; it is in the Southern division of the county, upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Shipston-on-Stour union and county court district, rural deanery of Blockley, and archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester. The village and church are lighted by electric light. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 8 bells and a good clock given by Lady Northwick in 1893: the chancel has a piscina, and triple sedilia: the stained east window was placed by Sir Charles Rushout bart. In memory of his sister, the Hon. Mrs. Grieve, d. 15 Jan. 1862, and to George, 3rd Baron Northwick, d. 18 Nov. 1887: the church contains a large number of monuments, many belonging to the Rushout family, Barons Northwick, including the Right Hon. Sir John Rushout bart. 1st Baron Northwick, d. 20 Oct. 1800, and Rebecca (Bowles), his wife, d. 1818; and the Hon. Anne Rushout, d. 4 April, 1849; Edward Croft, 1706, and Jane, his wife, 1711; to the Rev. William Boughton, 36 years, vicar of the parish, d . I831, and to the Childe family, once land-owners in this parish; over the vestry door is a costly marble monument, of Italian work, illustrating the parable of “The Good Samaritan," to the memory of John, 2nd Baron Northwick, d. 20 Jan. 1859: at the east end of the north aisle is a handsome marble monument, in three compartments, two. of which are finished with pediments and the middle one with a pyramid; on these are arranged the busts of Sir James Rushout, 1st bart. ob. 1698, and Alice (Pitt), his wife, by Moore; Elizabeth (Rushout), Countess Dowager of Northampton (18th cent.), by Rysbrack; and of the Right Hon. Sir John Rushout bart. treasurer of the navy, ob. 1775 ; and Lady Anne (Compton), his wife: there are also tablets to George, 3rd Baron Northwick, d. 18 Nov. 1887, and the Hon. Caroline Rushout, his only daughter; memorial windows to the Rev. H. Bromfield, vicar 1855-78, and to George, 3rd Baron Northwick, and brasses with effigies to Philip Warthim, vicar, 1488; a priest (William Jornbharte), with inscription to William Neele, 1510; and some inscribed scrolls: the communion plate was presented by Elizabeth, Countess Dowager of Northampton, and there is a black letter Bible, date 1617: the church was restored and reseated, and a north porch added in 1871: it is now entirely lighted by the electric light, and affords 550 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £520, including 92 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Edward Jas. Houghton M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford, rural dean of Blockley, secretary to the Diocesan Board of Education and hon. canon of Worcester. An acre of land, given by the late Lord Northwick for a church cemetery, was consecrated by the Bishop of Worcester in 1891 : the lych gate was erected in memory of the Rev. Henry Bromfield, vicar 1855 to 1878, by a bequest of his widow.

There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels, a meeting house for the Brethren and a Mission chapel at Draycott. Blockley Working Men’s Club, opened in 1897, is intended to supply innocent recreations with temperate use of refreshments in bar and kitchen, together with lectures and entertainments; it has an orchestral band, books and newspapers; there are about 100 members.

Charities: Richard Perkin's charity of £400, left in 1702, is invested in land, the rents arising from which are devoted to the purchase of clothing for the poor; Goddard Carter's charity is an annuity of £10, chargeable on land, also given to the poor in clothing; Mrs. Martha Scattergood's charity is an annuity of £5 for the poor; Mrs. Bowhay's bequest of £15 yearly, in the hands of the vicar of Blockley, and John Eden-Hiron esq. of Shipston-on-Stour, as trustees, is expended in coal for the aged poor; the Rev. W. Boughton, late vicar, gave an annuity of £8 to the poor, which is distributed in clothing; the Countess of Northampton’s charity furnishes twenty poor persons with a twopenny loaf of bread each weekly, and there are also several minor charities. Northwick Park is now the seat of Lady Northwick, who is lady of the manor and principal landowner; the barony of Northwick became extinct on the death of George, 3rd baron, in 1887. The mansion was the ancient seat of the Childe family, and was remodelled in 1730 by the late Sir John Rushout bart. and is, mostly in the Elizabethan style, the west side built in the time of Queen Anne: the picture gallery contains a remarkably fine collection, including  examples of Hogarth, Rubens, Titian, Guido, Raffaelle, Vandyck, Teniers, Landseer, Giotto, Velasquez &c. besides a valuable collection of prints and engravings, coins and medals, of the Greek and Roman periods: there is also, a model of the famous Dunmow flitch of bacon awarded to Lord and Lady Northwick. The night watchman at the mansion maintains the old custom of going the round every hour from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. and blowing a whistle at each hour and calling the time and the state of the weather. The park is 300 acres in extent, and contains two extensive lakes, well stocked with trout &c. ; the park is noted for its fine beech, oak, Spanish chestnut, and walnut trees, and contains 500 head of fallow deer: permission is occasionally granted to view the gallery and other interesting portions of the mansion. The soil is light and fertile; subsoil, beds of stone and blue lias. The chief crops are wheat, beans, oats and barley. The total area of the parish is 7,604 acres; rateable value, £12,422; the population in 1891 was 2,127 in the civil, and 1,931 in the ecclesiastical parish.

PAXFORD is a hamlet, 3 miles north from Moreton-in-the-Marsh and 2 miles east from Blockley. A school-church of stone was erected here in 1866, at the cost of Mrs. Elliot: it is licensed for divine service, which is held here once at least every Sunday: a clock has been presented by the late Mr. Richard Reynolds, who also gave the site for the church. There is a Baptist chapel. The principal landowners are Algernon Bertram Freeman-Mitford esq. C.B. of Batsford Park, Gloucestershire, George Aldred Haden Haden-Best esq. of Haden Hill, Staffs, Mr. Joseph Crescens Reynolds J.P. Major V. Knox, of Spring Hill, Gloucestershire, and Mr. James Slatter. The area of the hamlet is 841 acres ; rateable value is included with Blockley.

Post Office, Paxford.-- Thomas Tarplett, sub-postmaster. Letters through Campden S.O. Gloucestershire, arrive at 9.20 a.m. ; dispatched at 9.40 p.m. & 5 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Blockley.

National School (mixed), erected in 1866, for 100 children; average attendance, 56; Miss Florence Wilcox, mistress.

Draycott, 1 mile north ; Ditchford, 4 miles southwest-by-west from Shipston; Dorn, a mile north from Moreton-in-Marsh; and Northwick, 1 3/4 miles south from Chipping Campden, are hamlets in this parish.

ASTON MAGNA is an ecclesiastical parish formed from Blockley, and will be found under a separate heading. (see below)

Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office (Sub-Office. Letters should have S.O. Worcs. added).-- Mrs. Susan Powell, sub-postmistress & stamp distributor. Letters arrive from Moreton at 6.35 a.m. & 2.15 p.m. ; dispatched at 10.30 a.m. & 6.25 p.m. ; arrive from Worcester at 8.30 a.m. ; dispatched, Sundays, 5.10 p.m.

Wall Letter Boxes:-- Dovedale end, cleared at 5.45 p.m. week days only; St. George's terrace, cleared at 10.20 a.m. & 5.30 p.m. week days only; Draycott, cleared at 4.30 p.m. week days only.

County Police Station, Charles Yates, sergeant, & 1 constable.

National (girls & infants), erected & opened in 1867, at a cost of £1,400, defrayed by voluntary subscription, for 140 girls & 100 infants; average attendance, 76 girls & 58 infants; Mrs. Elizabeth Wyatt, mistress; Miss Elizabeth Westcott, infants' mistress

National (boys), a separate building of stone, adjoining the churchyard, erected & opened in 1850, by John, 2nd Baron Northwick; it will hold 160 boys ; average attendance, 75; Edgar J. Wyatt, master

Railway Station, Thomas George Jakeman, station master



Alcock George, The Limes
Anthony Frederick, St. George's terrace
Belcher Richard, Boswell
Burdett Matthew, Colebrook house
Evans Henry Byrn
Gardner George, Bath cottage
Gray Oliver, Umpire villa
Hart Laurence, Malvern house
Holtom. Jn. Hy. Mount Pleasant villa
Holtom Mrs. St. George's terrace
Houghton Rev. Canon Edward James M.A. Vicarage
Joyner James, Manor house
Legge Miss, Park house
Meadows Miss, North End villa
Middleton Frederick, St. George's terrace
Northwick Lady, Northwick park; Burford house, Tenbury; & 22 Norfolk street, Park lane, London W
Norton Rev. Arthur William Fox B.A. (curate), Northwick terrace
Norton Mrs. Douglas, Northwick terrace
Phipps Miss
Phipps Thomas, Rock villa
Righton Mrs. Elm house
Rolfe Rev. Henry (Baptist)
Simmons Miss Ord, Manor house
Spencer Henry Montagu, Cotswold house
Warner James, Northwick terrace
Westmacott, Charles William Griffiths, Park villas
Witts Trenfield Miss, Fragrance villa

Adams Frederick George, draper, grcr. & boot dealer
Alcock George, farmer, The Limes
Anthony Frederick, secretary to lady Northwick, St. George's terrace
Arkell Wm. Ernest, frmr. Upton Wold
Balhatchet Thos. Dashwood, butcher
Barnes James, carpenter
Beechey Hannah (Mrs.), fishmonger
Bishop John, blacksmith
Blakeman Ann (Mrs.), greengrocer
Bragg Wm. farmer, Pasture farm
Bull Albina (Miss), teacher of music
Butler Charles, timber dlr. Draycott
Chainey Win. Fdk. Crown htl. & farmer
Chesher Edmd. miller (water) & farmer
Cheshire Geo, farmer, Dovedale farm
Clements Thomas, markt. grdnr. Dorn
Cosford Wm. Marriott, miller (water) & farmer
Davy Stephen Weston, glazier
Eden Emily (Mrs.), laundress
Ellis Maria (Mrs.), beer retailer
Ennals Albert Harry, boarding house, Porch house
Evans H. B. & Co. pianoforte manufrs.
Evans Henry, painter
Figgers George Lancelot, painter & bear retailer
Gray James, farmer, Dorn
Green Edmund, fly proprietor
Green John, baker, Northwick terrace
Hale Henry, farmer & beer retailer
Harris Ann (Mrs.), beer retailer
Harris Emily (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Hart Mrs. Laurance, ladies' boarding school, Malvern house

Hart Laurence, artist, Malvern house
Herbert Alfred, ironmonger
Herbert Frederick, tailor & outfitter
Hillier William, head gardener to Lady Northwick
Hodgkinson George, farmer, Draycott
Holton Richard Francis, stationer, printer & news agent
Holton Thos. Kilby, frmr. Park farm
Jones Chas. Gilbert, farmer, Draycott,
Joyner James, grocer & agent for W. & A. Gilbey Lim. wine & spirit mers
Keen James, shoe maker & organist parish church, Landgate cottages
Kew Frederick Arthur, ironfounder
Lane Harry Ches. fishing tackle makr
Lane Henry, saddle thread maker
Langton Henry William, butcher
Ledbetter William, shoe maker
Lovett John, farmer, Dorn
Lowe, George Stewart, millwright
Lucking John, butler to Lady Northwick, Northwick house
Marnes Catherine (Miss), apartments, Northwick terrace
Matthews Wm. estate foreman to Lady Northwick
Meadows Henry, shopkeeper, Draycott
Millard Frs. farmer, Up Ditchford fm
Milton Bros. grocers, china, glass & earthenware & beer dealers
Murfitt Walter James, draper
Osborn James, Bell Inn
Paintin Herbert Iden, baker & miller (water)
Powell John, tailor
Powell Susan (Mrs.), baker & tea dlr. Post office
Roberts Jas. Hy. farmer, Wellacre fm
Rouse John, baker & fly proprietor
Silvester M. E. (Mrs.), boarding ho. Dovedale house
Smith Harry, carpenter & beer retailer
Solloway Charles, butcher
Solloway Major, cattle dealer
Spencer Henry Montagu, agent to Lady Northwick & Major in the 2nd V.B. Glostershire Regiment, Cotswold house
Spenser W. Hrbt. farmer, Draycott
Stowe Henry, farm, bailiff to Lady Northwick
Taylor Daniel, confectioner
Taylor Frederick, haulier
Taylor Owen, farmer, Sheaf house frm
Taylor William, insurance agent
Timms John, farmer, Dorn
Timms Wm. farmer, Ditchford Hill frm
Trinder Harry, head gamekeeper to Lady Northwick
Turvey William, haulier
Wake Albert, linen drpr. & insur. agt
Warburton H. Nigel, electrical engineer, Astral works
Webb Fredk. road surveyor, Lower st
Webb William, baker
Wells Mary Ann (Mrs.), apartments, High street
Westmacott, Hannah (Miss), coal mer
Westmacott Walter, carpenter & painter &c
Wheatcroft Alfred, farmer
Wheatcroft Hy. farmer, Stapenhill fm

Wheeler Emily (Miss), saddler & bus, proptr. & agent to the G. W. Rly
Williams Job, shopkeeper
Workmen's Club (Rev. Canon Houghton, president; E. J. Wyatt, hon. sec)

Holton Dennis
Nind Col. F. W.
The Poplars
Reynolds Joseph Crescens J.P.
Slatter James
, Manor house
Slatter Mrs. Bank house
Bradsell Cath. Harriet (Mrs.), sbopkeeper
Fletcher & Sons, thrashing machine, owners
Fletcher William, jun. beer retailer
Keyte Charles, wheelwright
Randall Thos. miller (water), Pye mill
Sharp John, baker, collector of rates & assessor of taxes
Slatter James & Co. cider merchants
Staffer James, farmer & coal merchant
Tarplett Thomas, baker, shopkeeper & sub-postmaster
Wheatcroft Frank, miller (water)
Wilkerson M (Miss), farmer

ASTON MAGNA is a hamlet and ecclesiastical parish, formed June 29, 1847, from the civil parish of Blockley and is 2 1/2 miles north-west from Blockley station on the Oxford and Wolverhampton section of the Great Western railway and 2 1/2 north from Moreton-in-Marsh, in the Southern division of the county, upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Shipston-on-Stour union and county court district, Blockley petty sessional division, rural deanery of Blockley, and archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester. The church of St. John, erected in 1846, is a building of stone in the Early Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave and a low western tower, containing one bell, and will seat about 200 persons. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value, £250, including 3 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of A.B. Freeman-Mitford esq. C.B. and held since 1888 by the Rev. William Gilbert. There are some remains here of an ancient cross. Algernon Bertram Freeman-Mitford esq. C.B. of Batsford Park, Gloucestershire, is the chief landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The area is 1,112 acres; rateable value is included with Blockley; the population in 1891 was 196.

Letters through Moreton-in-the-Marsh arrive about 9.30 a.m. which with Blockley S.O. are the nearest money order & telegraph offices

Wall Letter Box, cleared at 5.45 p.m.

National School (mixed), enlarged in 1883 by the late Earl of Redesdale, for 6o children; average. attendance, 30; Miss Susan Eaton, mistress

Gilbert Rev. William, Vicarage
Camden John
Camden Joseph J.P.
Hows Richard W. farmer
Purser Richard, farmer
Rogers William John, farmer
Squire Philip, blacksmith
Simmons Joseph William, farmer & cider manufacturer
Wiggins Edwin, farmer

Contact email address on index page