Blockley - Kelly's Directory 1896
(Worcestershire, now Gloucestershire (since 1931), England)

BLOCKLEY is a large village and parish and head of a petty sessional division (held at Chipping Campden and Shipston-on-Stour), with a station on the Oxford and Wolverhampton section of the Great Western railway, 2 miles east from the town, 88 miles from London, 8 southwest from Shipston-on-Stour and 3 1/2 north-west from Moreton-in-Marsh ; It is in the Southern division of the county, upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Shipston-on-Stour union and county court district, rural deanery of Blockley, and archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester. The church of SS. Peter and, Paul is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 8 bells anti a new clock given by Lady Northwick in 1893 the chancel has a piscina and triple sedilia, : the stained east window was placed by Sir Charles Rushout bart. in memory of his sister, the Hon. Mrs. Grieve, d. 15 Jan. 1862, and to George, 3rd Baron Northwick, d. 18 Nov. 1887: the church contains a large number of monuments, many belonging to the Rushout family, Barons Northwick, including the Right Hon. Sir John Rushout bart. 1st Baron Northwick, d. 20 Oct. 1800, and Rebecca (Bowles), his wife, d. 1818 ; and the Hon. Anne Rushout, d. 4 April, 1849; Edward Croft, 1706, and Jane, his wife, 1711 ; to the Rev. William Boughton, 36 years, vicar of the parish, d. 1831, and to the Childe family, once landowners in this parish; over the vestry door is a costly marble monument, of Italian work, illustrating the parable of “The Good Samaritan," to the memory of John, 2nd Baron Northwick, d. 20 Jan. 1859 - at the east end of the north aisle is a handsome marble monument, in three compartments, two of which are finished with pediments and the middle one with a pyramid; on these are arranged the busts of Sir James Rushout, 1st bart. ob. 1698, and Alice (Pitt), his wife, by Moore; Elizabeth (Rushout), Countess Dowager of Northampton (18th cent.), by Rysbrack; and of the Right Hon. Sir John Rushout bart. treasurer of the navy, ob. 1775 ; and Lady Anne (Compton), his wife - there are also tablets to George, 3rd Baron Northwick, d. 18 Nov. 1887, and the Hon. Caroline Rushout, his only daughter; memorial windows to the Rev. H. Bromfield, late vicar, and to George, 3rd Baron Northwick, and brasses with effigies to Philip Warthim, vicar, 1488; a priest (William Jornbharte), with inscription to, William Neele, 1510; and some inscribed scrolls. the communion plate was presented by Elizabeth, Countess Dowager of Northampton, and there is a black letter Bible, date 1617 : the church was restored and reseated, and a north porch added in 1871 it is now entirely lighted by the electric light, and affords 550 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £437, net yearly value £580, including 92 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester, and held since, 1878 by the Rev. Edwd. Jas. Houghton M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford, rural dean of Blockley, secretary to the Diocesan Board of Education and hon. canon of Worcester. An acre of land, given by the late Lord Northwick for a church cemetery, was consecrated by the Bishop of Worcester in 1891 : the lych gate was erected in memory of the late vicar by a bequest of his widow. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a meeting house for the Brethren. Charities: Richard Perkin's charity of £400, left in 1702, is invested in land, the rents arising from which are devoted to the purchase of clothing for the poor; Goddard Carter's charity is an annuity of £10, chargeable on land, also given to the poor in clothing; Mrs. Martha Scattergood's charity is an annuity of £5 for the poor; Mrs. Bowhay's bequest of £15 yearly, in the hands of the vicar of Blockley, and John Eden Hiron esq. of Shipston-on-Stour, as trustees, is expended in coal for the aged poor; the Rev. W. Boughton, late vicar, gave an annuity of £8 to the poor, which is distributed in clothing; the Countess of Northampton's charity furnishes twenty poor persons with a twopenny loaf of bread each weekly, and there are also several minor charities. Northwick Park is now the seat of Lady Northwick, who is lady of the manor and principal landowner; the barony of Northwick became extinct on the death of George, 3rd baron, in 1887. The mansion was the ancient seat of the Childe family, and was remodelled in 1730, by the late Sir John Rushout, bart. and is mostly in the Elizabethan style, the west side built in the time of Queen Anne: the picture gallery contains a remarkably fine collection, including examples of Hogarth, Rubens, Titian, Guido, Raffaelle, Vandyck, Teners, Landseer, Giotto, Velasquez &c. besides a valuable collection of prints and engravings, coins and medals of the Greek and Roman periods: there is also a model of the famous Dunmow flitch of bacon awarded to Lord and Lady Northwick. The night watchman at the mansion maintains the old custom of going the round every hour from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. and blowing a whistle at each hour and calling the. time and the state Of the weather. The park is 300 acres in extent, and contains two extensive lakes, well stocked with trout &c. ; the park is noted for its fine beech and oak trees, and contains 500 head of fallow deer: permission is occasionally granted to view the gallery and other interesting portions of the mansion. The soil is light and fertile; subsoil, beds of stone and blue lias The chief crops are wheat, beans, cats and barley. The total area of the parish is 7,604 acres ; rateable value, £13,030; the population in 1891 was 2,127 in the civil, and 1,931 in the ecclesiastical parish.

PAXFORD is a hamlet, 3 miles north from Moreton-in-the-Marsh and 2 miles east from Blockley. A school-church of stone was erected here in 1866, at the cost of Mrs. Elliot: it is licensed for divine service, which is held here once at least every Sunday: a clock has been presented by the late Mr. Richard Reynolds, who also gave the site for the church. There is a Baptist chapel. The principal landowners are Algernon Bertram Freeman-Mitford esq. C.B. George Alfred Haden Best-Haden esq. of Rowley Regis, near Dudley, Mr. Joseph Crescens Reynolds. Major V. Knox and Mr. James Slatter. The area of the hamlet is 841 acres; rateable value is included with Blockley.

Wall Letter Box, cleared at 9.30 a.m. & 4.15 pm. week days only

National School (mixed), erected in 1866, for 100 children; average attendance, 56; Mrs. Jennie Chandler, mistress

DRAYCOTT, 1 mile north; Ditchford, 4 1/2 miles southwest-by-west from Shipston; Dorn, a mile north from Moreton-in-the-Marsh; and Northwick, 1 3/4 miles south from Chipping Campden, are hamlets in this parish.

ASTON MAGNA is an ecclesiastical parish formed from Blockley, and will be found under a separate heading below.

Post. M. 0. & T. 0., S. B., Express Delivery, & Annuity & Insurance Office (Sub-Office. Letters should have S.O. Worcs. added).-- Mrs. Susan Powell, sub-postmistress & stamp distributor. Letters arrive from Moreton at 6.35 a.m. & 2.15 p.m. ; dispatched at 10.50 a.m. & 6.25 p.m. ; arrive from Worcester at 8.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 4.10 p.m. ; Sundays 5.10 p.m.

National (girls & infants), erected & opened in 1867, at a cost of £1,400, defrayed by voluntary subscription, for 140 girls & 100 infants; average attendance, 75 girls & 70 infants; Mrs. Elizabeth Wyatt, mistress; Miss Jane Kirby, infants' mistress

National (boys), a separate building of stone, adjoining the churchyard, erected & opened in 1850, by John, 2nd Baron Northwick; it will hold 160 boys ; average attendance, 85; Edgar J. Wyatt, master

Railway Station, Thomas George Jakeman, station master



Acock Alfred, Northwick terrace
Alcock George, The Limes
Anthony Frederick, St. George's terrace
Bamforth George, St. George's terrace
Belcher Richard, Boswell
Burdett Matthew, Colebrook house
Dewhurst John Henry M.A., M.B. Manor house
Evans Henry Byrn
Figgures Jn. Fredk. Rose vil. Paxford
Gardner George, Bath cottage
Herbert Alfred, Fountain cottage
Herbert George Hy. Northwick terrace
Holtom Jn. Hr. Mount Pleasant villa
Holtom Mrs. St. George's terrace
Houghton Rev. Canon Edward James M.A. Vicarage
Howe William, Northwick terrace
Joyner James, Manor house
Judson Misses (The), Malvern house
Legge Miss, Park house
Lovell ]Rev. Ernest George (Baptist), St. George's terrace
Meadows Miss, North End villa
Middleton Frederick, St. George's terrace
Northwick Lady, Northwick park; Burford house, Tenbury; & 22 Norfolk street, Park lane, London W
Peebles Henry, High street
Phipps Miss
Phipps Thomas, Rock villa
Reynolds Joseph Crescens J.P. Paxford
Righton Mrs. Elm house
Sharp John, Paxford
Silvester Stephen, Porch house
Simmons Edward, Manor house
Slatter James. Paxford
Slatter Mrs. The Poplars, Paxford
Spencer Henry Montagu, Cotswold house
Warner James, Northwick terrace
Warburton H. Nigel, The Close
Westmacott Charles William Griffiths, Park villas
Westmacott Henry, Park road
Wheatcroft John
Witts Trenfield Miss, Fragrance villa
Yelf Robert, The Laurels, Paxford

Acock John, wood carver, High street
Acock J. & Son, pianoforte manufacturers & organ & harmonium dlrs. inventors & patentees of the Edina perfection music drawer, Apollo works
Alcock George, farmer, The Limes
Anthony Frederick, secretary to Lady Northwick, St. George's terrace
Arkell Wm. Ernest, frmr. Upton Wold
Arnold William, general dealer
Bailey Joseph, tea dealer
Baldwin George Thomas, farmer
Balhatchet Thos. Dashwood, butcher
Barnes James, carpenter
Beechey Edwin, fishmonger
Bishop Joseph, blacksmith
Blakeman Ann (Mrs.), greengrocer
Blockley Electric Lighting & Manufacturing Company Limited (Nigel Warburton, managing director), electrical engineers, Astral works
Blockley Penny Bank (R. B. Belcher, sec)
Booth John, farmer, Northwick Hill frm
Brown Thos. Hy. grocer & linen drpr
Bull Ellen (Mrs.), beer retailer
Butler Charles, timber dlr. Draycott
Chainey Wm. Fredk. Crown hotel
Chesher Edmd. miller (water) & frmr
Cheshire Geo. farmer, Dovedale farm
Clements Thomas, markt. grdnr. Dorn
Clifford George, stone mason

Cosford Wm. Marriott, miller (water)
Davy Stephen, glazier
Dewhurst John Henry M.B., B.C., M.R.C.S.Eng. surgeon, Manor house
Ellis Maria (Mrs.), beer retailer
Evans H. B. & Co. pianoforte manufrs
Evans Henry, painter
Figgures Edward, plasterer & slater
Figgures George Lancelot, painter &c
Figgures Warren, beer retailer
Fisher Arthur, blacksmith
Fletcher & Sons. thrashing machine owners, Paxford
Fletcher Wm. jun. beer retlr. Paxford
Gill Seth, farmer, Dorn
Green Edmund, fly proprietor
Green John, baker
Grosvenor Alfred Augustus B.A., M.R.C.S.Eng., L.S.A.Lond. surgn. High street
Haines Saml. & Wm. farmers
Hale Henry, beer retailer
Harris Ann (Mrs.), beer retailer
Harris Emily (Mrs.). shopkeeper
Hathaway William H. relieving officer & registrar of births & deaths for Moreton-in-the-Marsh district
Herbert Frederick, tailor & outfitter
Herbert George Thomason, ironmonger. & insurance agent
Herbert Josiah, butcher
Herbert Mary Ann (Mrs.), apartments, The Close
Hillier William, head gardener to Lady Northwick
Holborough John, farmer, Elboro farm, Draycott
Holtom Thos. Kilby, frmr. Park farm
Humphrey Lionel Charles, farmer
Improved Fibre Treatment Co. Lim. (The) (H. Lane, managing director), fishing, tackle makers
Jones Charles George, farmer, Draycott
Joyner James, grocer & agent for W. & K. Gilbey Lim. wine & spirit mers
Judson Misses (The), boarding school for ladies, Malvern house & Rock cottage.
Keen Elizabeth. (Mrs.), linen drpr. & gro
Keen James, shoe maker & organist parish church
Keyte Charles, wheelwright, Paxford
Keyte Richard, fishmonger
Ledbetter William, shoe maker
Longford Wm. H. farmer, Ditchford
Lovatt Enoch H. estate foreman to Lady Northwick
Lovett John, farmer, Dorn
Lowe George Stennard, millwright
Millard Chas. farmer, Up. Ditchford farm
Moore & Stile, surgeons, High street
Osborn James, Bell inn
Paintin Jas. Herbt. baker & millr. (water)
Peebles Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Paxford
Peebles Robert, farmer, Paxford
Powell John, tailor
Powell Susan (Mrs.), baker & tea dlr. Post office
Randall Thomas, miller (water), Pye mill, Paxford
Randall William, shoe maker
Reynolds John, milk dlr. Paxford
Reynolds Joseph Crescens J.P. farmer & landowner, Paxford
Roberts Jas. Hy. farmer, Wellacre farm
Rouse John, baker & fly proprietor
Rowley William, sergeant of police
Sharp John, baker, collector of rates & assessor of taxes, Paxford
Slatter James, landowner, farmer & coal merchant, Paxford
Smith Harry, shopkeeper & carpenter
Smith William B. carpenter
Solloway Charles. butcher
Solloway Major, cattle dealer
Spencer Henry Montagu, agent to Lady Northwick & captain in the 2nd V.B. Glostershire Regiment, Cotswold house

Spenser Wm. Hy. farmer, Draycott
Stowe Henry, farm bailiff to Lady Northwick
Tarplett Thomas. baker, Paxford
Taylor Frederick, farmer
Taylor Owen, farmer, Sheaf house farm
Timms Frank, farmer, Ditchford hill farm
Timms John, farmer, Dorn
Tombes Joseph, shopkeeper, Paxford
Trinder Harry, head gamekeeper to Lady Northwick
Turvey William, haulier & stone mason
Wake Albert, linen drpr. & insur. agt
Webb Fredk. road surveyor, Lower st
Webb Richard, baker
Webb William, baker
Wells Mary Ann (Mrs.), apartments, High street
Westmacott Hy. bldr. & coal merchnt
Westmacott Charles William Griffiths, hon. clerk to parish council, Park vil
Wheatcroft Alfd. miller (water), Paxford
Wheatcroft Frank, farmer
Wheatcroft Henry, farmer
Wheeler Emily (Miss), saddler & bus proptr. & agent to the G. W. Rly
Williams Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Workmen's Club (Geo. Clifford, sec.), High street

ASTON MAGNA is a hamlet and ecclesiastical parish, formed June 29, 1847, from the civil parish of Blockley and is 2 1/2 miles north-west from Blockley station on the Oxford and Wolverhampton section of the Great Western railway and 2 1/2 north from Moreton-in-the-Marsh, in the Southern division of the county, upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Shipston-on-Stour union and county court district, Blockley petty sessional division, rural deanery of Blockley, and archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester. The church of St. John, erected in 1846, is a building of stone in the Early Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave and a low western tower, containing one bell, and will seat about 200 persons. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £64, not yearly value £239, including 3 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of A. B. Freeman-Mitford esq. C.B. and held since 1888 by the Rev. William Gilbert. There are some remains here of an ancient cross. Algernon Bertram Freeman-Mitford esq. C.B. of Batsford Park, Gloucestershire, is the chief landowner. The soil is clay.; subsoil, clay. The area is 1,1112 acres; rateable value. is included with Blockley; the population in 1891 was 196.

Letters through Moreton-in-the-Marsh, which with Blockley S.O. are the nearest money order & telegraph offices

Wall Letter Box, cleared at 5.45 p.m. ; no delivery

National School (mixed), enlarged in 1883 by the late Earl of Redesdale, for 60 children; average attendance, 40; Miss Margaret Williams, mistress

Gilbert Rev. William, Vicarage
Camden John
Beck William, blacksmith
Camden J. S. farmer
Rows Richard W. farmer
Purser Richard, farmer
Rogers William John, farmer
Simmons Joseph, farmer
Wiggins John, farmer

Contact email address on index page